Monday, October 7, 2013

Monday in the Life of Ivor


In case you've ever wondered how we fill our days.

7:30 AM: Ivor wakes up, smiling, cooing and ready to play. (If he is still sleepy, I can sometimes nurse him back to sleep for another 30mins to an hour.) Daddy plays with him in the other room so I can get an extra 30 minutes of Ivor-free rest. While Daddy gets his shower, Ivor and I play in bed for a few minutes, enjoying the warmth of the covers.  Morning is the perfect time to practice new tricks, so he entertains Mommy by blowing bubbles, squealing and cooing. I finally leave the cozy confines of my blankets to get Ivor changed and dressed.

8:30 AM: Once Ross leaves for work, it is time for Mommy to get ready. Ivor hangs out in his carseat with some toys while I grab a shower and clothes. On a typical day, Ivor gives me about 30 minutes to get myself clean and dressed before he melts down about being stuck in his car seat. (He has learned how to shriek and scream loudly to announce his anger- God help me...)

9:15 AM: Ivor is released from his carseat. I enjoy some Swiss Muesli and check my email, while Ivor gets fed and takes a little cat nap. (We are back to feeding him every 1-2hrs to try to get his weight back up. )

10:00 AM: Play time! Mommy tries to make Ivor laugh without any luck. (Some days we do Baby Yoga in the mornings, but today we just play.) We examine the contents of the toy boxes at least twice, chew on some stuff, read a story, chew on the book, roll around, wrestle, smile and sing songs.
Ivor's current favorite is 'Row Row Row Your Boat', which he loves because I pull him back and forward, as if we're rowing, while we sing.
Row Your Boat, Ivor
Ivor also loves playing rocket ship and airplane. Really anything that gives him a different vantage point is exciting. (I let him sit next to me on the couch in his bumbo the other day and he was so excited about being 'up high'.)

11:15 AM: After playing hard, Ivor is rubbing his eyes and getting fussy, so I nurse him and lay him down for a nap. He does not sleep. (We are currently having an on-going argument about naps. I think he should lay down in his bed and Ivor thinks he should be held...) Since we are going to Baby Massage class later and I don't want screaming overtired Ivor interrupting the class, I nurse him back to sleep again and read 'World War Z' while he naps in my arms.

12:30 PM: Ivor wakes up. I feed him, change him and pack his bag, so that we can take him to the health clinic where he will get weighed and attend our Baby Massage class. Once ready, I slip Ivor into his wrap sling and we head down to the clinic.

Different day, same sling
It is a beautiful sunny Autumn day and I wander outside in the sunshine for a bit before going inside. Ivor loves to be outside and to see all the flowers, trees, and people. He also loves chewing on the sling- I keep moving it out of his face and he keep grabbing it back. By the time we arrive, he's managed to soak the sling with his slobber- it's a good thing these slings are washable!

13:00 PM: We chat to the other moms and babies while we wait our turn at the clinic. Last week the clinic was closed for a holiday, so it is particularly busy. I brought a couple toys, but Ivor prefers to occupy himself by eating his feet. Ivor weighs in at 11lbs 13oz. Our health visitor reassures me that this is a good gain and promises to discuss it with the doctor. I give Ivor another quick feed before our class starts. (A full baby is a happy baby.)

13:30 PM: Baby Massage class starts. This is the first of four sessions and this week we focus on massaging the legs and feet. Ivor seems more interested in starring at the other babies, twisting and contorting his body into various positions to eye-ball each and every one. Despite wiggling, he stays on the mat the whole class, and waits until I stand up to grab his bag before rolling off the mat. (He then shrieks because he doesn't like the cold linoleum floor.)

After class I pop Ivor back in the sling for the walk home. I take the long route home so Ivor can look at the cars and I can window shop. On the way home, I stop at the local store and grab some fruit to enjoy with my lunch. Ivor flirts with the lady at the checkout, who is captivated by his big blue eyes.

14:20 PM: Ivor is so exhausted that he falls straight to sleep as soon as I lay him in his crib. I enjoy my lunch, email and fold some laundry done while he sleeps.

15:30 PM: The neighbor turns on loud Techno music, which wakes Ivor up. Thanks for that!

I try putting him down again, but he wakes up again. After leaving him for a while to see if he'll settle, I take Ivor out of his crib, feed him, and put him in his baby seat to play while I put on another load of laundry and start preparing dinner (Chicken Soup made from leftover chicken and veg).

16:10 PM: We play a little. Ivor eats again. I put him in his baby seat for a few minutes while I vacuum the living room floor. (My hair is falling out and I keep finding clumps everywhere. I've been trying to vacuum almost everyday so Ivor doesn't have to play in clumps of dust and hair.) Once the floor is clean, we play again.

17:15 PM: Ivor starts to fuss, so I nurse him and hold him while we both nap. (This 'hold-me-while-I-sleep situation is why I manage to get through so many books and always have a dirty house. It is also a really good excuse to take a nap myself.)

18:20 PM: Ivor wakes up and I nurse him. Ross comes home from work- Ivor's favorite part of the day! The volume goes up as the boys play and wrestle and squeal, while I finish up the soup and cheesy bread for dinner. (I think I know who taught him about shrieking...)

19:00 PM: Dinner time. We all eat dinner while we watch the news. After dinner, we all play and catch up on each other's news of the day.

19:35 PM: We start getting Ivor ready for bed. First, he gets his bath.


Then we get him in his pajamas, turn down the lights and read him a story or two.
All cozy in his sleepsack.


We say prayers and I nurse Ivor. (I sing him a version of Psalm 23 as he nurses.)

20:30 PM: Once he starts getting drowsy, I burp him, turn on his Giraffe- a little stuffed toy that play different music/sounds on a timer. I usually set it to the white noise option, which blocks out other noise enough that he can drift off to sleep.- and lay him down in his crib.

Good Night, Ivor.








No comments:

Post a Comment