This entry is a bit late in coming, but as we finally have our internet back on, I thought I would write the first entry of 2010.
2009 brought us quite a few bit changes- marriage, settling in a new country, our first real full-time jobs, etc... 2010 is no different. Less than two weeks into the new year, on our sixth month anniversary, we moved into our new flat. It is bit smaller and a little louder, but a month or so in it is really starting to feel like home. Thankfully our new landlords are really great and we look forward to spending the next year in one place.
I also found a new job, which I start on March 1. The new position is only a year long contract, but it is a grade up and more money. It is also closer to our new flat, which means I can walk instead of taking the bus. That is £54/month that I am happy save!
It is only February but the days are already getting noticeably longer. Only a few weeks ago the sun was down by 3:30pm. But I have been able to walk home from work at 5pm while it is still light. The extended cold means that the trees are all still bare and sad, but the crocuses have started to bloom and I am daily being reminded that spring is not long off.
Spring in Scotland is beautiful. Everyone is constantly asking me if the weather bothers me, but to be honest, it was in part the tempestuous and changeable weather that endeared Scotland to me. There is something enjoyable about hail in the middle of a sunny afternoon, or frost covered the fields on a crisp winter morning. And I have never appreciated spring as much as I do after a long cold winter. The beauty begins with the crocuses, which bloom bright and delicate in the midst of the wintry deadness. Next bud by bud, leaves will begin to grow on the barren tree branches, and in a matter of days what was empty and lifeless will be full and green and lovely.
Spring to me is God's total grace- a physical reminder of God's promise of restoration. It is He who turns what was dead and barren into what lives and bears fruit. "He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."- Revelation 21:5
I hope you all have had a good start to 2010, and I hope you take a few minutes to appreciate the beauty of the coming spring.
We miss you
J
No comments:
Post a Comment